1/17/09

Nostalgia or just a good laugh?

BYU is different: nobody talks in the library, the book shelves move, and people always fall asleep. I finished a paper an hour before class and laid it down next to my computer, which I shut so I could take a quick nap. I put my forehead on my arm, and my hand reached out with my finger pads softly on the corners of both the computer and the paper.
I didn’t want anyone to still them. No sooner after lying my head down, however, did I start dreaming. I dreamed that Chandler, Dan, and Ivor quietly approached my table. Ivor stood back smiling while Chandler lifted my computer up with two hands, and Dan pinched the corner of my paper trying so hard to be sneaky. They walked off without me skipping a beat of soft sighs that come with a mid-day nap.
As students always do when they wake up in the library, I had a red forehead. I couldn’t see it, but I could feel the texture of my sleeve tattooed on my forehead. After I few seconds of descending from my nirvana nap, I realized my laptop and paper were gone. I looked to my right and then to my left. I looked in my computer bag and then in my book bag—nothing. Each second that went by got worse. My face, I’m sure, started to match the mark on my forehead with the consequences of loosing my paper and, worse, my computer. Finally, I stood up looking under my chair and desk as if they accidently rolled off the table like my pen lid does sometimes; yeah, at this point I was pretty much desperate.
Meanwhile, at 12:00 (the direction), Chandler, Dan, and Ivor hid behind a pillar laughing. It cut through the quit library. Dan borrowed one end of Ivor’s scarf to cover his notorious deep laugh while Ivor used the other end to cover his own laugh. Chandler used both ends of his scarf because apparently it was extra funny to him. If I had any sense of resoluteness in me, I would have noticed it. But I was focused on one thing—finding what I lost.
Right then I woke up, but I didn’t lift my head up. I pressed my finger pads down to see if my computer was still there along with the paper. Just a dream, I thought, smirking to myself about my Rexburgian writers.
Do you see what kind of impact all you had on me? I think about all of you daily.
Oh yeah, I’m engaged. Yes, I’m excited, but I can’t put an exclamation point because Sister Morgan will probably see this.

11 comments:

iBo said...

Danny, I love this post. It's so us, and it's nice to know that you're thinking about us as much as we're thinking about you. It's so good to hear from you, and congratulations on your engagement. When is the big day?

Jami said...

DANNY?! You too? Wow! I'm asking you the same questions as Eric. Where did you meet? What is her major? What's she like? When are you getting married? Where?

That is exciting! (And Sister Morgan loves me too much to kill me for putting so many exclamation points--it's amazing what you can get away with when you try :) Oops, I probably shouldn't say things like that.

Please let us know some details. I know it's insanity planning a wedding and going to school; on the other hand, many of your WC friends have been through it, so we may be able to help somehow. I obviously have too much advice that I won't share to avoid being annoying. Why is it that after "Contratulations!" everyone wants to offer advice? Myself included.

Well, contragulations. She's lucky.

meghan & jason said...

I'm so happy to hear your news! She must be a very special girl to have caught and held your attention. I can't wait to meet her. You'll invite all of us to the reception, right? :) (By the way, Sister Morgan really likes you too, and I think even she would forgive a solitary exclamation mark after such good news.) Congratulations! We miss you. Though, like you, I miss everyone from the WC.

Brad & Emily said...

I love this post, too. I especially like how you strategically placed the engagement part at the very end as the "by the way" statement. Congrats!

And by the way, thanks for letting me use your blood essay. I used it in my sophomore class, and they loved it. They still compare different stories to it. Thanks.

Jacob said...

Congratulations Danny. I can just see the big, sterile library dotted with red foreheads. Maybe we'll run into each other in a year or to in law school.

Chan said...

Danny-Bo-Banny, congratulations! Give us the details, I'd love to attend the reception if I can.

My favorite part of the dream is when I was using both ends of my scarf to stifle my laughs because i thought it was extra funny. Good to hear from you, glad to hear you're doing well.

Sara said...

Danny--great post, and more importantly, congratulations!

Katie said...

You're not forgotten either, and congratulations!

Danny Leavitt said...

All right everyone, here's what happened: I blindfolded her and drove to a beautiful park where we stood on top of a snow-covered bridge. There, I took the blindfold off and said some sweet things, and then I got down on my knee and asked her to marry me! We were'nt there for long because it was stinkin' cold, even Rexburg cold. (That's the short version.)
April 24th is the big day.
It's good to hear from you all.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm happy for you. Your post is hilarious. Such good times.

Britt said...

Congrats Danny!