10/21/07

Alone

My husband left me Friday morning. It's been our first time apart since we got married a little over a year ago. He went to his sister's wedding in North Carolina, so since Friday I've been alone. Well, except Jami Joy's husband had to work all night, so she came over and we had a slumber party! I don't think I've done that in years. We painted our nails, watched chick flicks, ate too much junk food, I got her addicted to hot chocolate and creamer, and we talked...a lot. It was nice not having to sleep all by myself. Oh and if you want any scoop on Jami's inner psyche, just let me know because she talks in her sleep. Just kidding...

All of that was Friday night, but last night I was most definitely alone, except for the company of my cat. I turned on two night lights (why we have two, I don't know...) and cuddled up with an old teddy bear (yes, I still have a teddy bear). It's weird how scared I was. I kept telling myself "Come on, Leanna, you used to sleep by yourself all the time for 21 years until you got married! Now what's happened to you?" and "It's okay, Leanna, those noises outside are only the wind not some madman about to come through your window...right?" It was like just having him here makes me feel safe. And I can't even tell you how many ditzy things I did while he was gone because he wasn't here to keep me on track. They say you become one when you get married, and I'm learning that that is so very true. So much that it's a bit scary.

(And everyone admit, I got you good with that first line, didn't I!)

3 comments:

Julie M said...

It's so good to hear from you Leanna! I miss you a lot.
I'm sorry to hear about your husband...but I'm glad he'll be back. I know what that whole "alone" thing feels like. My first week here, whenever I would come home from work, I would have to creep around and check every room to make sure there wasn't a serial killer hiding behind the door-- usually holding a kitchen pan high above my head ready to decapitate the fiend. Completely irrational, but I did it for quite sometime. I think we do crazy things when we sense there is not another human around us. It is amazing what contact can do.

S.Morgan said...

Leanna, a 1000 pardons. I was trying to delete spaces between your paragraphs and deleted your cute picture. Put it back on?

Leanna said...

It's okay, Sis. Morgan. It's up again. But thanks a lot for deleting my childhood like it was nothing. (Joke!)

And Julie, I miss you!!! I was walking into the Center the other day and saw Miriam leaning over the front desk and with her dark slightly curled hair, it looked like you from a distance. Sad! Keep the posts coming...